Wednesday, June 29, 2005

All Mixed Up!

Well, apparently this is more popular than I thought. Doom sent me this story at the end of the day today and I read it on the way home. No need to link him; he already is in the last post. Here is a link to the story though so you will know what I am talking about.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown29.html

The act of, or better yet, the idea of mixing cereal was completely foreign to me until a little over a year ago. My dad moved out to Arizona and I helped him move. We drove. While on the road we ate out obviously, but the week I spent in Arizona following the drive we just ate cereal every morning.

Now I had stopped eating cereal on a regular basis years ago. Those of you that have read other posts here know I can be a bit of a boozer, so something a bit more substancial is usually required to get me going in the morning.

So on the first morning in Arizona my stepmother puts 4 boxes of cereal out and a gallon of milk. I think, great, I have some choices. Then I see my dad pour some cereal from one box, put it down, pour from a 2nd box, and then a 3rd. Whoa! "Dad, what are you doing?" He tells me that it makes it more interesting. He's been doing it for a little while now because he got bored of just one kind. Hmm, I think, maybe I'll try this. This could be the key to my eating cereal more often again. Yes, I too had become bored. So I grab the box of Raisin Bran and pour a little in. I grab the box of Apple Cinnamin Cheerios and pour a little in. Then I top it off with a little bit of Grape Nuts, add some milk and take a bite. "Not bad dad, I think you may be onto something." I continued to eat like this the rest of the week. The Grape Nuts eventually ran out and on the last 2 days I used Frosted Mini Wheats. Mmmm, I liked that even more.

One night right after I got home from vacation I was up at a bar watching The Cubs with Doom. Actually The Cubs had already lost and we were just at the bar drinking and bullshitting. I told him about this cereal thing and he just thought it was the craziest thing he had ever heard. That was sacreligious in his eyes and he was going to have no part of it. We laughed and as what always happens with many beers and conversation, we jumped to another topic and another. Not long after this cereal conversation though I was looking at a pretty girl standing the bar with a receipt in her hand and somehow Danny and I started talking to her about her grocery list and she mentioned something about mixing cereal! We both started cracking up and told her how we had just been talking about that.

Well, from reading this news story, I guess a lot more of it is going on. Needless to say, I have only eaten cereal a handful of times in the last year. I have not mixed since Arizona. I have no doubt in my mind that I will again though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home