Wednesday, April 12, 2006

HAIR METAL IS MY SAVIOUR

At least it has been at work. All last week I listened to hair metal and was in a relatively pleasant mood and got a lot of work done. Dokken, Def Leppard, Cinderella, White Lion, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, KISS, Queensryche, L.A. Guns,etc…

This morning I think, as they say, I woke on the wrong side of the bed, and the mood just progressed on the commute in. I was running a little late and the first thing said to me when I walked in was “oh, are you here now?” Spitting venom I practically ripped his head off. “YOU’RE LOOKING AT ME, AREN’T YOU? DOES IT LOOK LIKE I’M HERE??!!! THEN I’M OBVIOUSLY HERE!!!!!!” There was definitely a look of fear in his eyes and probably a feeling of embarrassment for asking such a dumb question. Whoa, down boy; easy tiger.

After grabbing breakfast and a cup of coffee I threw on a little Long Cold Winter by Cinderella and pretty soon I’m smiling again and in a much better mood. Thank you, Cinderella. Poor Danny, he’s about to go on tour with a couple revived hair metal heads.

Here’s a fun little memory brought on by listening to Cinderella. I’ve known $in since high school. We first met in a class called Music Unlimited. Pretty much any kid who played an instrument took the class. Everyone got an A just for taking the class. The majority of the class were guitar players; $in being one of them. We got to bring our instruments in one day. I can’t remember what the assignment was. There were some kids that were much better than others. $in was sitting in with a couple other guitar players. These were probably the best guitarists in the school. $in was not one of the best guitarists in the school. These guys were playing Stevie Ray Vaugn and Jimi Hendrix and doing some really impressive stuff. The circle would come around to $in and he would start playing the opening riff to Gypsy Road. He would get as far as the first 2 or 3 notes, stop, look confused, and start tuning his guitar. This must have happened about 5 or 6 times; each time with him looking a bit more nervous and uncomfortable. Poor $in, I’m sure he’s still haunted by this memory, but the vision still cracks me up.

I hear Drkfiber is across the street from me today. I’m going to go throw pickles at him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard that story about E! Very illuminating. Why doesn't he have a blog?

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home